[Update, January 02, 2020: Stable release is out!]
Debotnet is a free and portable tool for controlling Windows 10's many privacy-related settings and keep your personal data private.
The Windows 10 default privacy settings leave a lot to be desired when it comes to protecting you and your private information. Whenever I set up a new computer or update a current setup for my family or job, I always carefully go through the privacy settings for each install, making sure to lock it down to make it as private as possible.
Windows 10 has raised several concerns about privacy due to the fact that it has a lot of telemetry and online features, which send your data (sensitive and not) to Microsoft and can't be disabled.
If you haven’t yet installed Windows 10, or if you’re planning on buying a PC with Windows 10 already installed, do NOT use the “Express Settings” option when you do your initial setup. Instead, select “Custom Settings” so you can take charge of locking down your privacy from the get-go.
After the Installation Debotnet is coming into play. It prevents Windows 10 on basis of a dozen of script files from sending your data to Microsoft.
Intro of Debotnet
(Custom themes for the form UI can be found here)
The most important features at a glance
- Disable telemetry and online features, which send your data (sensitive and not) to Microsoft
- Choose which unwanted functions you wish to disable
- Uninstall Windows 10’s Built-in Apps
- Debotnet will show you what it's doing. You have full control, because the executing code can be viewed in a simple text editor
- Debug mode. E.g. the Test mode lets you see which values are twisted in registry, commands executed etc.
- Simple scripting engine for adding custom privacy rules
- Scripts updated on GitHub
- Support for Ninite service, which allows you to download and install more than 70 popular apps for Windows.
- Download Windows 10 ISO files using Microsoft Media Creation Tool with command line switches and also through MCT Wrapper
- Download deprecated Windows apps, e.g. Classic Calculator
- Modern and familiar UI, with theme support
- Small footprint. No installation required (Portable)
- 100% Free Software (also for commercial purposes. A donation would be appreciated)
Debotnet's main tools and database are not hard-coded. It is based upon simple
.DS1 files which define exactly which registry keys, files and or/services should be disabled, blocked, deleted etc. and preserved by the program.
Here is an example of a script file (plain text files saved as .DS1 file type)
[Info] ID=Disable Telemetry Ver=1.0 Desc=As you use Windows 10, Microsoft will collect usage information. All its options are available in Settings -> Privacy - Feedback and Diagnostics. There you can set the options "Diagnostic and usage data" to Basic, Enhanced and Full.\n\nTo disable Telemetry and Data Collection in Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 Pro, run the following script. Dev=Mirinsoft DevURL=https://www.mirinsoft.com WinVer=Compatible with Windows 10 Evaluation=Recommended EvaluationColor=009e5e [Code] Task1=Run,net stop DiagTrack,STDOUT Task2=Run,net stop dmwappushsvc,STDOUT Task3=Try,query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry,STDOUT File1=Reg,add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v AllowTelemetry /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f,STDOUT
Debotnet requires Windows 10 including both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
Follow Debotnet on GitHub